Wednesday, April 16, 2008

leave of absence

So I guess I unintentionally took an extended leave of absence recently. Hmm. I don't really know what to say about that.

But I'm trying this again, mainly because now I have to write either a reflective essay or an essay about place, and where does it get more reflective than a blog? No where, unless it's a mirror.

I need to come up with some ideas for subjects I can reflect upon. So far I've got: my craziness about proper punctuation. Which, really, not that great in my opinion. I think I could write about work and all the "reflecting" I do here at my desk when I'm forced to do mindless, abysmal, asinine jobs (like writing thank you cards for Assessment Day--and now that I've thought about that, I can feel my blood pressure start to rise. Awesome). I think that I actually do have some good material within me; it's just getting it out and organizing it coherently that's giving me fits of the mental kind. I have so many "reflections" running around in my head, but it's like a room full of spider monkeys in there, where they're all hopped up on Mountain Dew and sugar cookies. Or crack.

I want the paper to be funny; I want people to be able to read it and understand my sense of humor and be able to hear my voice--my unique, un-pompous, non-"buoyantly declaring" voice. Basically, I want my writing to reflect ME, not the professor. I'm tired of writing to impress him, because, really, that's what I've been doing for two years now. I guess that's why I started this blog in the first place: I wanted to be able to write and not have someone grading it, taking off points for clarity of expression, word usage, informal language, awkward wording, whatever.

No comments:

Written by an English major who really should expand her vocabulary.